"My goal is not only to fix existing problems utilizing the latest and safest technology available, but also to educate and encourage my patients on the benefits of a healthy lifestyle."
Dr. Mills joined Coastal Orthopedics in 1991. He completed his bachelor of science degree in biology from The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina.
After completing his degree in biology, he received his medical degree from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. Dr. Mills then finished an orthopedic residency at the same institution and a fellowship in spinal surgery at the South Texas Spinal Clinic in San Antonio, Texas.
When not seeing patients, Dr. Mills likes working out, golfing, snow skiing, and boating. He is also actively involved with Canine Angels, a nonprofit organization that rescues dogs from shelters and trains them to become service dogs for disabled veterans and first responders.
Dr. Mills is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, 1981
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Charleston, South Carolina, 1985
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Charleston, South Carolina, 1990
Fellowship, Spinal Surgery
- South Texas Spinal Clinic, San Antonio, Texas, 1991
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1993, 2013
- Conway Medical Center
- Carolina Bone and Joint Center
- Conway High School
- Carolina Forest High School
- Aynor High School
- Cervical and Lumbar Fusion
- Facet Joint Injections
- ILIF: Interlaminar Lumbar Instrumented Fusion
- Lumbar Decompression
- Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- PLIF: Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Spinal Cord Stimulator (Boston Scientific)
- Spinal Cord Stimulator (Medtronic)
- TLIF: Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- XLIF: Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion
"My heart-felt appreciation to surgeon William L. Mills, MD, the medical orthopedic team, assistants, nurses and all personnel at the Spine Center, Coastal Orthopedics, Conway Medical Center, in Conway, South Carolina.
Before my laminectomy, I experienced unbearable pain due to a spinal misalignment, herniated disc and pinched nerve from L5 to S1 vertebrae. I could not find relief from excruciating pain, numbness, tingling and violent cramping down left leg from buttock to bottom of left foot . Everyday normal standing, walking, sitting and sleeping was painful.
April 21, 2016 post surgery results: Entire left leg pain free! I was at CMC for two nights and sent home with a low dose pain prescription. After surgery, I felt tremendous relief and actual good thoughts about the slight awareness of stitches, 29 tiny staples, short rods and screws under one bandage. For me, a time to celebrate.
I will soon be stepping into my normal life activities. Thanks again, William L. Mills, MD. Fellowship-trained Spine Surgeon and the medical team at CMC. I am also grateful for the superior orthopedic services available and convenient right here, in our Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area. As one advances in age, so does the meaning of having family close by who do not have to travel great distances for grandma's major surgery." - Jeanette T.